Friday, December 17, 2010

A Daily Prayer

In this age of self-promotion, we often let ourselves succumb to the temptation of self-aggrandizement. Especially western culture and education praise such behaviors. In consideration of my Korean heritage, I faced many conflicting moments internally, and continually sought to reconcile these opposing values of servanthood and egoism. In this prayer, I found newfound hope, encouragement, and enlightenment. That is, values that are espoused by our Christ Jesus our Lord ought to take utmost priority over any other secular values. 
     
     Lord, as I grow older, I think I want to be known as…
     Thoughtful, rather than gifted
     Loving, versus quick or bright
     Gentle, over being powerful
     A listener, more than a great communicator
     Available, rather than a hard worker
     Sacrificial, instead of successful
     Reliable, not famous
     Content, more than driven,
     Self-controlled, rather than exciting
     Generous, instead of rich, and
     Compassionate, more than competent
     I want to be a foot-washer. 

No comments: